Disclosure: Our content is written for information only, and should not take the place of professional advice. All opinions are our own, and we are not experts -- please consult a professional before you make any significant decisions.
Some links or videos may be brand partner and affiliate content for which we are compensated.
There are so many benefits of attending cultural events in the United States. You can have the opportunity to expand your knowledge as well as enjoy yourself while you have fun exploring various different cultural activities.
There are so many things to do at cultural events, especially regarding the Asian American culture. Asian Americans make up more than 5% of the entire population in the United States, over 18 million people. That?s a lot of Asian culture that can be shared and experienced by other interested Americans. Here are some more interesting facts about Asian culture and history.
- In the United States, there are currently 2.6 million people that speak Chinese in their homes. Chinese is the second most widely spoken language in the country, aside from English and Spanish.
- Making up about 83% of the Asian-American population, the Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Vietnamese, and Filipino are the majority in the United States.
- China celebrates Tea Appreciation Day during the first week in May oh every year. This Cultural event has been celebrated in China every year since 2005.
- In 1979, Asian Pacific Heritage Month was established. President Carter made Asian Pacific Heritage Month an annual event in 1978, and President George H.W. Bush announced, in 1990, that the entire month would be dedicated to Asian Pacific American Heritage month.
- Regarding Asian food, there are ?Eight Chinese Cuisines.? Zhejing, Anhui, Hunan, Jiangsu, Fujian, Guangdong, and Shandong.
- The Chinese New Year, also known as the Spring Festival, is the largest festival celebrated in China. Marking the beginning of the Lunar New Year, the Chinese New Year lasts for 15 days and usually falls between mid-January and mid-February, it is a celebration used to honor the ancestors of the Chinese.
- Within the Chinese language, there are seven major dialect groups that all have their own unique variations. More than 70% of the population speaks Mandarin, Wu is spoken by 8.5%, Cantonese is spoken by 5%, Xiang by 4.8%, Hakka by 3.7%, and Gan by 2.4%
Asian cultural events and Asian traditions can be a great experience for everyone involved!